LFW Highlights

As a full time student, I don't have the time, energy or spare cash to travel down to London for fashion week, but I like to keep an eye on what is going on from the comfort of my sofa instead. Rather than extensive collection by collection breakdowns, I thought I'd put together a selection of my favourite shows in one post now that LFW is over. I chose eight of my favourite collections, and eight of my favourite looks from each. All photos via Vogue.com, click through each image for the full collection. Put the kettle on, it's quite a long one!:


HOUSE OF HOLLAND

House of Holland was the first show I saw this fashion week and it remained one of my favourites. HoH has really upped their game in my opinion; I have been left relatively unimpressed with their past few collections but they have nailed it here. Metallic fabrics, brights, and jewel tones were key in the collection entitled 'Debauched Debutantes', which perfectly combined the elegance expected of the young debutante making her first appearance in fashionable society, and the far more rock-and-roll indulgence associated with debauchery. Model of the moment and northern gal Sam Rollinson opened the show in stunning shades of green and a t-shirt emblazoned with 'Rich Bitch'. 


SOPHIA WEBSTER

I just cannot get enough of Sophia Webster. She has risen to fame in the past couple of years as we have all been entranced by her almost sickeningly romantic footwear; I caught her giving an interview at last year's VFNO in Manchester and she is just as sweet as her shoes! Sophia has gone from strength to strength with her AW14 collection. Her presentation featured everything from dogtooth thigh-highs, fur-trimmed mules and boots with clear plastic panels, to intricate sandals in candy colours and diamante details inspired by flowers and tiaras. I'm not sure whether I want to eat or wear some of her pieces, but I do know that any of them would instantly make any outfit amazing. 


TEMPERLEY LONDON

Along with their usual offering of stunning ballgowns, Temperley took a slightly new direction and showed a number of looks featuring equally gorgeous separates and daywear pieces. Of course the gowns were to die for and I am a huge sucker for anything sheer and embellished, but I was left lusting over tailoring, printed coats and especially those grey suede boots! Vogue succinctly encapsulated the Temperley AW14 daywear in their catwalk report; "the wardrobe of a grown-up hippy strolling down Portobello Road sifting through the market’s treasures - the stricter pieces like the sheer blouses, double-breasted A-line wool coats and crew-neck patterned jumpers acting as her staples for smart-casual dates and freelance meetings in the West End" - perfect imagery for a perfect collection.


TOPSHOP UNIQUE

If the last few winter fashion weeks were anything to go by, it was entirely predictable that Topshop Unique would be a highlight. The star-studded front row alone is evidence that the Topshop show, despite being a high street brand, is certainly something not to be missed. It is my view that Topshop, both in their ordinary high street collections and on the Unique catwalk, is infinitely stronger when it comes to winter wear, and I think that contrasting this collection with their SS14 offering from September proves me right. There was layering galore, mostly in subdued greys, blues and camel tones in contrast to last year's dreamy pinks. I even think that I want a puffa jacket now! Topshop is always one for sticking closely to trends, but it definitely works for them.


MATTHEW WILLIAMSON

What is not to love about this collection? Equal parts elegance and fun, from the cutesy prints on powder blue or red, lace up booties and extra shaggy feathery fur to sleek eveningwear. One of my favourite and most wearable looks was the undeniably fun leather skirt / feather fur jacket combo (top row, 2nd photo) - the star motifs may seem a little juvenile in theory but they absolutely work here, and the little details like the coordinating pop of colour in the socks make the look super cool and current. Matthew Williamson devotees include Olivia Palermo and Coco Rocha, and it's clear why! 


WHISTLES

Fashion week presentations are gaining increasing coverage, and none were cooler than Whistles' first offering as part of the LFW schedule. A firm high street favourite, it seems that few do minimalism better. Their AW14 presentation featured chunky knits, slightly-too-long trousers, comfortable sandals and muted checks, but it had to be the head-to-toe sugary lilac looks which stole the show! 


ERDEM

Diverging from the usual girly florals, Erdem AW14 was a little darker and more regal than usual. Texture played a key part, with luxe velvet, fur, metallics, opulent embellishment, and even wet look crocodile leather to die for. Black was certainly a base colour for the collection, which I love for its own merits but also because it made the gorgeous golds, blues and reds really stand out. The shoes definitely warranted a mention too - all pointed with ankle straps and, to the surprise of some, all flat! All in all a stunning collection, and definitely a stand out of fashion week for me. 



ASHISH

Finally we have Ashish, whose collections I will continue to be obsessed with until the day he stops using sequins (hopefully this day will never come!). This collection took the pink and grey combination that has been popular this winter and ran with it, featuring everything from prom tutus, ruffles and opulent pearl beaded necklines to holographic tinsel fringing, sequinned joggers and more sparkling denim, and ending the show with an amazing, statement-making, rainbow coloured outfit on an androgynous model, emblazoned with the phrase 'Love Will Win'. Frankly I think I will love anything provided that is entirely encrusted with sequins, but Ashish does this better than anyone and made AW14 super fun. I have to say that I am not a fan of the light up Buffalo trainers worn with every look, they're quite hideous in themselves and I also particularly dislike their being coupled with tutus (I didn't like it when Lily Allen did it and I don't like it now!), however I do appreciate the general vibe which Ashish was going for with this, and it's certinaly not enough to stop this collection being one of my faves. 



That's all! Some other collections which I think were particularly noteworthy included Holly Fulton, Eudon Choi, Giles, Christopher Kane, Julien Macdonald and David Koma, but I have now run out of fashion adjectives. I hope that my somewhat under-educated opinions of LFW AW14 were informative, and if not at least a little entertaining!

Facebook / Bloglovin / Instagram / Twitter / Lookbook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,